Frequently Asked Questions
- Go to the Freegal download page. Enter your library card and PIN. Browse the Freegal catalog and select a song. When prompted, "Save" the file on your computer. You can then listen to the file or import it into iTunes. You can also view our step-by-step video tutorial:
What can I download?
- Wilmington patrons are allowed (3) music downloads per week. Download limits reset on Sunday night. The songs never expire and can be copied to any device that plays MP3s.
Will my device work with the library's digital downloads?
- Freegal music downloads are DRM-free files, so they will work with any digital music player that supports MP3s. Freegal files do not require any special software to play or transfer to a device.
I downloaded the file, but I can't find it in iTunes.
- When prompted to "Open" or "Save" the .mp3 file, choose "Save" and save the file in a place that is easy to remember (My Music, My Documents, the desktop, etc.). Open iTunes, click the File menu and select "Add file to library". Find your file and click open.
- After importing the file into your library, plug in your device (iPod, iPhone, etc.). On the device's Summary tab, click "Manually manage music and videos". Now you can add individual songs from iTunes to your device. Just drag the item to the iPhone, iPad, or iPod icon in the Devices list on the left-hand side of the iTunes Window.
What if I need more help?